Halitosis or bad breath is an embarrassing situation which usually affects your relationship at home and at work. A person can develop bad smell due to the presence of odor-causing bacteria inside the mouth, produced by the food particles left inside the mouth. Here are several effective cures for bad breath:
1. Brush your teeth regularly after every meal and especially after consuming meat, fish and milk products.
2. Use baking soda in addition to your regular toothpaste. Brush your teeth with baking soda. Rinsing your mouth with dissolved baking soda is also effective in reducing the acidity in the mouth and minimizes the growth of odor-causing oral bacteria.
3. Along with the brushing of teeth, use floss to remove food particles between the teeth.
4. One of the effective cures for bad breath is cleaning your tongue regularly. Bacteria like to grow on your tongue.
5. Gargle with salt water to reduce the growth of bacteria in the mouth. You can also use commercial mouthwash which contains chlorine dioxide, zinc, and sodium chlorite or cetylpyridinium chloride.
6. Avoid eating garlic and onions. Consuming food with refined sugars like cookies, sweets, cakes, carbonated drinks among others can also cause bad smell, especially if you do not brush your teeth after eating this kind of food.
7. According to research, eating plain yogurt for at least 6 months had been to reduce or eliminate bad breath.
8. Chew on herbs like parsley, coriander, basil, wintergreen, rosemary, fennels and cloves. They are great breath fresheners. Chewing on them allows the production in the mouth.
9. Drinking lots of water throughout the day can also reduce bad smell.
10. Avoid smoking & consuming heavy alcoholic beverages. These are great source of bad breath.
11. A visit to the periodontist regarding your gum and teeth problems can also be an effective cure for bad breath.
12. A professional cleaning by your dentist may also be another solution to bad smell. Tartar buildup cannot be removed through tooth brushing and flossing alone. Have your dentist removed this for it can be one of the causes of bad smell.
13. Using antibacterial products can help cure bad breath. They are commercially produced and available through your dentist or online. Some of the commercially produced aids to treat bad smell are BreathRx, Therabreath and Breath Remedy. They contain antibacterial like chlorine dioxide, thymol and eucalyptus which kill bacteria.
Overcome the problem of having bad smell. These effective cures for bad breath are the answer to your problems. Enjoy your sweet, fresh breath from now on!